My Ultimate Ottawa Bucket List
My Ultimate Ottawa Bucket List was born out of boredom. Or out of avoiding boredom to be exact.
Since I first met JS back in 2013 I have visited Ottawa on five separate occasions which has added up to about three months spent in this beautiful city in total. Add into that equation that I will be moving to Ottawa in February 2018 and you’ll realise how much spare time I had to fill (and will need to fill whilst looking for a job) whilst JS was working super hard at becoming and being a lawyer.
So I wrote a ‘things to do in Ottawa‘ list! Because who doesn’t love a good list?
[ Much like this Australian bucket list that I first wrote in 2012 when moving to Adelaide for a year. ]
The aim of this list is to encourage me to get out and see the city and surrounding areas that I’ll be living in and to make the most of my time spent in Ottawa on the trips in between. I had great fun ticking things off my Australian list and it really motivated me, so I’m hoping this Ottawa one will have a similar effect!
I’ve actually been working on this list for the last few years across all of my trips but I have constantly been updating it as I discover more new and exciting (and often free!) things to do in Ottawa. Who even knew there was so much to see and do here?
So if you’re looking for some inspiration about what to do on your Ottawa trip or you simply just wish to follow along on my adventures then check out the list below :)
The Ultimate Ottawa Bucket List
I have currently completed 24 out of 62 Ottawa Adventures
Number completed: 24
- Take a free guided tour of the Canadian Parliament and climb the Peace Tower
- Celebrate Canada Day on July 1st
- Go to the Tulip Festival and take lots of pretty photos
- Visit the Canadian Museum of Nature
- Marvel at the impressive architecture of the National Gallery of Canada
- Learn something new about Canada at the Canadian History Museum
- Take a trip to the Canadian War Museum
- Watch the sound and light show on the Parliament Buildings in the summer
- Cycle along the Rideau Canal
- Check out the Hog’s Back Falls
- Buy some Canadian Poutine at an Ottawa Poutinefest
- Spend some time at Meech Lake in Gatineau Park
- Go for a run along the Rideau Canal
- Photograph the sculptures at MosaiCanada 150 event
- Visit the Agriculture Museum
- Explore the Byward Market
- Have a drink overlooking Parliament at Tavern on the Hill
- Ride the Aqua Ferry for some great views from the river
- Take a guided tour of the Royal Canadian Mint
- Stroll around the city taking photos of beautiful buildings
- Check out the Rideau Locks in action
- Catch a show at the National Arts Center (I saw The Book of Mormon most recently!)
- See the Changing of the Guard Ceremony on Parliament Hill
- Attempt to stand up paddle board on one of the many lakes
Left to complete: 38
- Cycle the Tulip Route of the Tulip Festival in May
- Revisit the Canadian War Museum for a special exhibition
- Go back to the Canadian History Museum
- Skate down the Rideau Canal in the winter
- Rent a peddle boat on Dow’s Lake
- Watch the annual lawyer’s play
- Take a tour of the Supreme Court of Canada
- Check out the gardens at the Central Experimental Farm
- Explore Lusk Cave at Gatineau Park
- Hike the King Mountain Trail at Gatineau Park
- Take beautiful photos on the Champlain Trail at Gatineau Park
- Enjoy a sunny day on the Lauriault and Waterfalls Loop at Gatineau Park
- Experience the Luskville Falls Trail at Gatineau Park
- Explore the architecture of the Notre-Dame Cathedral
- Check out the ice sculptures at the Winterlude Festival
- Attempt some cross-country skiing
- Relax at the Nordik Spa-Nature
- Buy some mac and cheese at the Ottawa Mac My Cheesefest
- Check out at least three quirky places to eat
- Explore the city with a free walking tour
- Rent a kayak/canoe and paddle through the city from Dow’s Lake
- Go paddle-boarding on the Ottawa River
- Take a cycle tour of the City
- Attend the Ottawa Jazz Festival
- Take a helicopter ride over Parliament Hill
- Hike some snowshoe trails in the Outaouais Region
- Experience snow tubing in the Outaouais Region
- Volunteer at a local dog shelter
- Explore the Street Art on and around Bank Street
- Attend my first Canadian football game
- Cheer on the Ottawa Senators at an ice hockey match
- Zipline through Gatineau Park at Camp Fortune
- Go camping with friends
- Have a fancy afternoon tea at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier
- Take a trip down the Rideau Canal on a canal cruise
- Cruise along the Ottawa River
- Become the ultimate tourist on a bus tour of the city
- Attend a Yoga on Tap session – because yoga, beer and brunch is a winner!
In case ya didn’t notice, I have added a link to my blog posts for anything that I have already completed and written about already. Check them out for more details :)
Last updated: 26 July 2017
Happy Ottawa adventuring!
If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it! Because sharing is caring <3
OTHER CANADIAN ADVENTURES YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN:
More links coming soon!
STILL INTERESTED IN CANADA?
Is there anything that you think I should be adding to my ultimate Ottawa Bucket List that I’ve missed off?
Leave your ideas in the comments below – I’d love to hear them!
Lots of love,
Pin this post for inspiration later!